* Collect background information on client, including marriage certificates, sources of support, residence, employment,
income, assets, liabilities, and number of children.
* Participate in discussion of other options to divorce, including counseling, separation, reconciliation, and mediation.
* Complete domestic relations questionnaire based on information obtained from client.
* Assist client in preparing monthly income and expense sheet.
* Determine spousal support requirements and calculate child support.
* Analyze retirement benefits and determine how those benefits can be divided.
* Investigate and trace non-marital claims of the client.
* Draft petition for dissolution or complaint for divorce; draft response to same.
* Draft discovery requests for information relating to assets, liabilities, and income.
* Serve notice of hearing dates, discovery requests, and filing deadlines on opposing counsel or, if respondent is
not represented by counsel, arrange for service of notice on respondent.
* As necessary and appropriate, draft application for temporary relief, temporary restraining orders and other temporary
motions, affidavits, and orders.
* Draft protective orders, including non-contact, anti-stalking, and restraining.
* Assist client with compiling expert adult abuse petition; arrange for service; arrange docket hearing date; prepare
client and file for hearing.
* Act as a witness to the removal of personal property from marital home; prepare inventory, if necessary.
* As necessary and appropriate, arrange for private investigators; request and review written report.
* Draft motion to schedule court hearing.
* Assist in settlement negotiations, including preparing analyses of assets, summaries of major issues and drafts
of settlement proposals.
* Draft proposed stipulations.
* As necessary and appropriate, arrange for appraisals of real property and personal property.
* Draft property settlement agreement.
* Draft decree of dissolution, accompanying motions, and affidavits.
* Draft petition for adoption, consent for adoption, decree of adoption.
* Draft petition for name change.
* Draft pendente lite motions.
* Prepare file and client for pendente lite hearing.
* Draft notice of compliance with applicable pre-trial order.
* Prepare for trial, including reviewing file for problems and drafting amended pleadings if necessary.
* Draft proposed final order of divorce.
* Prepare attorney's fee exhibit and supporting documentation with estimated total cost through end of hearing.
* Testify about discovery or summary evidence.
* Investigate witnesses identified by opposing counsel.
* Coordinate post-hearing follow-up and inform attorney of any non-compliance.
* Draft quit claim deeds or other documents for transfer of property ownership.
* Assist in real estate closing.
* Draft necessary garnishments, writs of execution, or wage assignments.
* Monitor and ensure that all money judgments are timely paid and that partial or full satisfaction of judgments are
drafted and filed.
* Draft motion for contempt or show cause orders.
* Draft motion and affidavit for modification of previous court orders concerning child support and visitation as
well as retraining orders.
Note - Some of the information contained in the Litigation, Probate/Estate Planning and Real Estate sections of this publication
also includes work performed in the Domestic Relations/Family specialty area.